“You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity
is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.”
(Sourced from: http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Mahatma_Gandhi/)
· Born October 2, 1869
· Hi birthday each year is celebrated in India
as ‘Gandhi Jayanti”
· Originally Gandhi was a British educated lawyer
· He was married at age 13 (1883) through an arranged marriage and had 4 sons
· Pioneer of Satyagraha- the resistance of tyranny through mass civil disobedience,
founded on the principal of total non-violence
· He was the leader of the Indian National Congress
· He campaigned for the alleviation of poverty, liberation of women, brotherhood
amongst different religions and ethnicities, and for the end of discrimination.
· Above all Gandhi believed in the independence of India from foreign domination
Servant Leadership Traits:
Vision- Gandhi remained committed to truth
and non-violence even in the most extreme of situation.
Inspiration- Gandhi was said to have inspired
Dr. martin Luther King Jr, Steve Biko and Aung San Suu Khi and through the the American civil rights movement.
Credibility & Trust- Gandhi was a student
of Hindu philosophy and lived simply and self-sufficiently. He believed a person involved in public service should lead a
simple life. His followers believed he had n hidden agenda’s and was there to allow his followers to achieve their goals.
Pioneering- Gandhi was the pioneer of Satyagraha-
the resistance of tyranny through mass civil disobedience, founded on the principal of total non-violence
Truth- Gandhi dedicated his life to the
discovery of the truth, or Satya. He tried to discover this by learning from his
Want to read more about Mahatma Gandhi’s
http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/mahatma_ghandi.htm for a brief history.
For a collection
of Gandhi information, audio, pictures, and video footage click here http://www.gandhiserve.org/.